By: Nate Weinberg, August 2020
Hemp Flower, often referred to as hemp bud, herb, smoke or hemp nugs is quickly gaining popularity among American adults looking for an alternative to smoking cannabis or marijuana. Many of the negative side effects to smoking cannabis are not present when smoking hemp flower. Dry mouth, red eyes, anxiousness, paranoia can all be attributed to smoking cannabis. However, because of hemp flowers low delta 9 THC level, these negative side effects to smoking cannabis are either reduced or non-existent. Now that hemp is legal in the United States, this article is a helpful tool when shopping for legal hemp flower products online.
Below we’ve compiled the “Hemp Flower Buyers Guide” to help you navigate the process of buying hemp flowers online.
Here are some quick tips to help you start the process of buying hemp flower online:
- Make sure you’re 18 years of age or older
- Only shop at reputable websites that have secure credit card transactions
- Make sure the hemp flower online has certificates of analysis for all of their hemp products
- Choose USA grown hemp from USDA licensed farms
As you start to do more research about hemp flower, keep in mind that each consumer has their own personal tastes and preferences. Here are some variables that can affect those tastes and preferences as you decide your favorite variety of hemp flower.
Hemp flower contains varying levels of CBD or cannabidiol. CBD potency in hemp flower typically ranges from 10%-25% CBD. A high percentage does not always mean the hemp flower is “better”. Depending on the effects you are looking for lower CBD strains can be highly effective because of the different “terpene” levels they may have. Learn more about terpenes below. Rare cannabinoids like CBG and CBN may also dictate what hemp flower strains you are shopping online for.
Smoking hemp flower is one of the fastest ways to consume CBD, because the CBD hemp smoke calming effects can be experienced almost instantly. CBD products that you eat (edibles, tinctures, etc) take longer because they are consumed through the digestive tract. This process takes longer for the CBD to take effect.
Hemp flower contains many of the same “terpenes” as cannabis. Terpenes are essentially what makes a hemp flower smell so great! Terpenes have therapeutic effects at many levels. Learn more about terpenes at TerpyJs.com “Terpenes 101”. The combination of terpenes and cannabinoids create what is known as the “entourage effect”. Users will experience a calming sensation due to the entourage effect.
The “high” that comes from delta 9 THC is minimal. The reason being is that hemp flowers, by law, cannot contain greater than .3% delta 9 THC. This bill is outlined in length in the 2018 hemp legislation farm bill, the language can be found here. The farm bill is lengthy to read, but the summary is that hemp flower has been legalized in the United States and is legal to purchase hemp flower online containing .3% delta 9 THC or below. Make sure to always have the certificate of analysis or “COA” when you travel with hemp flowers as it can be mistaken for cannabis or marijuana.
There are numerous hemp strains or “cultivars” available for sale online. These are the genetics of the hemp plant and dictate what levels of cannabinoids are available. As the genetic research of hemp seeds and clones evolves, certain cannabinoids can be isolated. Rarer cannabinoids like CBG (cannabigerol) and CBN (cannabinol) have been making a splash in the hemp industry. These rare cannabinoids are being isolated and studied to learn all the potential positive effects they can have on humans and pets!
When consuming hemp flower, there are a number of ways to go about the process of smoking or vaporizing hemp flower:
- The easiest and quickest is to buy a metal or glass pipe online or at your favorite smoke shop and pack the “bowl”, light it and inhale. You can purchase high quality hemp flower at TerpyJs.com
- Rolling joints is a bit more involved, meaning you have to buy “papers” to roll the joints. There's a great tutorial for rolling joints here. Terpyjs.com sells already pre-rolled hemp CBD joints that reduce your workload, simply buy hemp joints online, light and enjoy!
- Vaporizing is very popular, there are a multitude of options for herb vaporizers. Do some research and find one that you can afford and get good reviews online. This will transform your hemp flower into a vapor, a potentially healthier alternative to smoking. Vaporizing hemp flower can also retain many of the cannabinoids because vaporizers are able to control the level of heat they vaporize at. This allows for the more fragile cannabinoids to survive the vaporization process and make it into your body. “Lighting” or “smoking” hemp flower with fire can sometimes be to hot and actually burn off some important cannabinoids.
To summarize the Hemp Flower Buyers Guide, keep this in mind:
- Not all hemp flowers are created equal, do your research and find reputable online hemp stores like TerpyJs.com to purchase hemp flower with confidence
- Experiment with different types of hemp flower to find the best cannabinoid and terpene profile that your body and mind responds to
- Lastly, HAVE FUN! Hemp flower consumption can be enjoyed in multiple ways and its fun to learn about new creative ways to consume hemp CBD products.
We thank you for reviewing our Hemp Flower Buyers Guide and think it should help in your research of buying hemp flower products online.